Sunday 10 July 2011

Transformers: Dark of The Moon



Synopsis: The Autobots learn of a Cybertronian spacecraft hidden on the Moon, and race against the Decepticons to reach it and to learn its secrets. 


Memories of Transformers 1 & 2 will forever stain my movie watching memory. With that in mind its hard to approach the 3rd instalment with anything but dread. But who knows, I could be proved wrong (as has happened in the past so many times before) and this film could completely blow me away. Right......??????

To begin with this film is a true test of one's endurance. Clocking in at 157 minutes it's hard to think of a film that lasts this long with such a limited plot. At what I thought must have been the 2 hour mark I checked my watch to find only an hour had passed. I had read of people leaving early but not being one to give up & the fact i had spent £10.60 on the IMAX experience I persevered.

Parts of the film look amazing (to be expected with a budget of $195m) and the IMAX screen only adds to this. However the dull tint of the 3D glasses is increasingly irritating & only a foot note of the issues with 3D. For me one of the biggest problems with the Transformers franchise is the battle sequences. People seem to enjoy them but I have major problems establishing which robot is which. It hard to establish who is on top due to the metallic grey colouring of every Transformer with the exception of Bumblebee & Optimus Prime. The action sequences are a blurry, over-edited, un-exciting mess of metal hits metal and are easily the dullest thing in the movie. With that in mind the final battle is about an hour long & I couldn't help but notice the dandruff issue of the patron in front of me as my eyes began drifting from the screen.

The characters have no depth what so ever & I did not care if they were in danger. I often found myself wanting Shia Lebeouf to be stomped from existence due to him being a man devoid of any charisma or charm. I can only attribute the fact that he has a transforming car as his key ability to frequently bagging premium women.

This instalment includes the addition of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in place of Megan Fox. She is a great metaphor for the film as she looks fantastic but struggles to leave a lasting impression other than that. The film is packed with explosions, toppling buildings, amazing visuals but with so much going on, nothing ever really happens. You can't help but wonder what could of been if some of that cash used on visuals went to producing a semi-decent script.

Already the film has grossed $162m in USA alone, it has been successful & obviously has a market but leaves me dreading a fourth instalment.

Summary: The film treads no new ground & is essentially what we have seen in previous parts. Length, Editing & Character Depth are major issues but sections of the film look amazing. 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment